This is how I see the American Flag that best represents Blacks in America.
- The Flag is backwards which symbolizes we are steady fighting for equality in this country that were builded on the backs of our ancestors. When soldiers deploy, the reverse flag patch is worn giving the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the solider moves forward. It's a constant battle.
- The colors are black and white simply because thats the main race classification that is used to separates us.
- The paint dripping downwards represents the south and how racism is so prominent (not limited to) but below the Mason-Dixon line.
- The paint dripping in general are also a representation of all the tears that have been shed for injustice, mistreatment, racism, bigotry, prejudice, oppression, wrongful killings, discrimination, denial, slavery, wrongful prosecution all due to the color of their skin.
- 13 Stars represent the first 13 original states/colonies of the U.S. (DE, PA, NJ, GA, CT, MS, MD, SC, NH, VA, NY, NC & RI)
- 8 stripes represent the approx. 80% of enslaved Africans of the total number of people who embarked the US between 1500 & 1820 (Source)
Thank you! - AVS
Made by Alexis V Sutton - 5/27/13 ( During the Trayvon Martin era/ G. Zimmerman Trial)
This poster has a partly glossy, partly matte finish and it'll add a touch of sophistication to any room.
• 10 mil thick
• Slightly glossy
• Fingerprint resistant